Friday, July 22, 2005

The Other Songs

This is a continuation of my post honoring Michael's request to hear songs from my June listening list, which I posted a few weeks ago. In addition to the Percy Faith songs, detailed above, I'm also sharing two songs from 1960 and one from 1959.

"Pineapple Princess" is goofy and cheesy, but it pulls me in with the stereotypical hawaiian arrangement, and a better than usual vocal from Annette. This is really the only record of hers that I love.

Download: Annette with the Afterbeats - Pineapple Princess
Play:

"Bumble Bee" is the other end of the spectrum, a weird, almost spooky arrangement, far more poppy than I'd expect from Lavern Baker. I first heard this, many years ago, on a poorly recorded reel to reel tape of a poorly received AM radio broadcast. That could be the kiss of death, but what I heard through the muck intrigued me, and once I got a better copy, I was not disappointed.

Download: LaVern Baker - Bumble Bee
Play:

"My Heart is an Open Book" is a left-field hit from a guy - Carl Dobkins, Jr. - who only had a couple of hits. That this was a top three smash is yet another reason that I wish today's music and charts were more varied and unpredictable (and contained more interesting music....)

Play:

Hope any and all who are listening enjoy them!

No comments: