Thursday, May 08, 2014

Song Poem Sultriness



There's not a lot that I have to say about Cara Stewart that I haven't already said on this site. There are some who have complained that her records with Lee Hudson each fit into one of a few templates (I would add "with notable exceptions"), and I don't know that I disagree, but when those templates are so exquisitely lovely and/or curiously different than the mainstream, what is there to complain of? I don't hear people saying the same things about Lee/Cara's clear inspiration, Les Paul and Mary Ford, who, despite producing recordings which were similarly limited in terms of varying styles, still managed to make several of the best records I've ever heard.

Here's a typical sultry Cara track, co-written by Earl Luton, who at some point also had his own song-poem label, Lutone, which was featured here just one month ago. Here's his song, "My Love is Like the Sunshine":

Download: Cara Stewart and Combo: My Love is Like the Sunshine
Play:

On the flip side, the only slightly less wonderful "Could Happen":

Download: Cara Stewart and Combo: Could Happen
Play:

1 comment:

Timmy said...

Va-Va-Va V00M!