Sunday, May 03, 2015

Okay... Seriously... What the Hell?


Divshare was down for another full week, at least in terms of being able to upload anything, immediately after the date of my last post. Sheesh. Anyway, that's why today's post was delayed. And if you've come this far, I encourage you to listen, because "My Doll Jane" is a doozy.

And I'm not going to say much about today's featured side, except that it's by the otherwise unknown Terri Wells, who is not confirmed to have appeared on even one other Preview side, and that it's lyrical content is several kilometers past completely bizarre.

I won't write a word more about the story Ms. Wells is going to relate to you, but if it makes more sense to you than it does to me, or if you just want to chime in with your own "what the hell", feel free to comment. I'd love to hear what others think of this one.

Play:  

The flip side is a performance of "Helen Goodnight", sung by Gene Marshall. The lyric was written by someone named Helen - perhaps she wrote that which she was wishing her lover would say to her? This is a pretty forgettable record, to my ears, notable only for a really nice opening nine seconds, much of which would probably sample-able, and, even more notable, a rare complete flub from Gene Marshall, who comes in after a key change away from and back to the original key change, at 1;47, and is, for a moment, nowhere near in the same key as the backing. It would be jarring with anyone, but to hear Gene completely lose is startling.

Download: Gene Marshall - Helen Goodnight
Play:


7 comments:

Kenny said...

I have no comment on this record.
Except that I'm now going to shoot myself.
Goodnight.

Timmy said...

This singer has to deal with a lot of the repercussions of shock, both mental & emotional. She obviously deals with her trauma by disconnecting herself from this imaginary "doll", whom is actually a disparaging creation of herself; falling in love, becoming heartbroken, and then finally giving up and dying. It's a little like what every one of goes through, eventually, excepting the "house on Broad & Vine", of course. Thank God I liked Green Acres, the TV show, growing up & didn't have to experience this sort of Hell on Earth. I love this song, and all it's warbly off centered musical whirling. I'm not a robot.

Timmy said...

J is for JUST A MINUTE...! I am now hearing the B side; "HelenGoodnight", and it's a marvel! This "complete flub", as you so unthoughtfully put it, is a smash shit, I - I mean a smash hit. This gem is worthy of becoming one of my "desert island" favourites. Thank you, once again for enriching my audial functions.

Bob said...

I believe Terri Wells was a pseudonym for a jazz singer who previously had several "legitimate" releases. Please re-up

Stu Shea said...

This is definitely not Teri Thornton on the a-side. i have no idea who the singer is, though.

"My Doll Jane" is quite a weird bit of songwriting. Can't really imagine the trauma the writer was trying to convey.

The less said about "Helen Goodnight" the better--great opening, shame about the song. Thanks for re-posting these!

Sammy Reed said...

7/30/19:
I wondered if, among all the other songs there are to fix up, you were gonna get to the demented "My Doll Jane", and - Here it is!

Anonymous said...

1/25/23:
I found out that Gene Marshall resung "Helen Goodnight" on Preview 3007. I have that 45 now, and it'll be on my next "Strange & Bizarre" post, later today.
My blog link is on my name.